Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sleep deprivation and inspiration




It's an interesting thing that happens during the week of a deadline. I have set goals on what I want to make and how many. Of course what I think I can do and what I can actually do are two different things.

Last night Kassie was in the studio with me making cords for the enhancer/charms. I was making small pendants. And we listened to an art/business training CD while we worked. This effectively got us going on topic after topic about our upcoming show this weekend. We talked about how I feel about my art and calling myself an artist. I know that she is an artist, but it will take time for her to realize and accept that. For now, she calls herself an artisan. Kassie has learned every skill I have taught her with ease. She is doing beautiful, quality work in my studio with me.

Kassie is really excited about doing this show with me and helping me sell all of our beautiful creations. I am excited too. Afterall, we have worked very hard, and showing my work and getting to tell people about it will be a reward.

Well here it is, three days until set up. Every night, I work until I can't see strait. During those last two or three hours, while I am working into the wee hours of the morning, I am doing my very best work. I am more patient and more open to random ideas that float in and out of my mind. I allow myself to select materials that are more challenging, and magic happens. The next morning, when I walk into my studio, I see what I made the night before. I am always amazed and thrilled to see these pieces in the daylight. It gives me fuel for making more and more and for trying new techniques and ideas.

Often times, I'll be working in the studio by myself, and I'll be thinking of completely different things. I try to be mindful of these "daydreams" and use them for the basis of a piece or series. A few days ago, I was looking at photos of these giant jellyfish online. There was a photo of this diver amidst many of these giants. They are called Normura's Jellyfish, and they can get up to 2 meters in diameter. Holy cow!

So, that night when I went into my studio to work, I was still thinking about the jellyfish and about things that live in the ocean. Fantasing that I could just pick up and move to the Caribean. Of course, I have never been there, but I have seen the pictures of the clear blue water and white sands. I imagine swimming among the fishes and being able to see the live coral and sea anemonies. What came out of these thoughts was this piece, made with abologne shell, wire, and tiny ocean blue delica beads. It is light as air. It brings me joy to look at it with all the colors of the sea and swirls of water, like the tide coming in.

Inspirations like this are worth losing sleep over. And I think paying attention to what I see and hear, and the feelings I have, have caused my work to grow and move forward. The joy of being self taught is that there really is no right or wrong way. I make it, and if I don't like it I cut it up. If I do like it, I either keep it or sell it. This way my work is kept pure, free from some other artist's rules or asthetic ideas. I am my happiest when I am doing creative wire work. I feel that this is the path my life was meant to take. I never know what might be just around the corner. For the first time in my life, I can say that with happy anticipation.

No comments: