Saturday, April 12, 2008

Symmetry



Well here it is the wee hours of the morning and I am posting to the blog. Kassie and I had a totally fun time drinking coffee and pop at IHOP and playing our version of "designer's challenge. I taught her how to use a "caging" technique to set cabochons in wire. And she challenged me to make something symmetrical. Kassie's work always leans toward balance through symmetry, and my work is balanced using placement of elements to make overall visual balance. Nearly all of my pieces are asymmetrical. But, I always try to keep the design closed and recirculating, so the eye moves around and around the piece and can rest in the closed space. So, the asymmetry doesn't cause the piece to be visually unsettling. This piece is by far the most symmetrical of any that I have made. I think it is also one of the most feminine pieces I have ever made. I will definately explore these ideas further and see what I come up with. Kassie's pendant turned out really great. I will post a picture of it as soon as she is willing to hand it over!

No comments: